If you run a business that makes use of multiple vehicles then you’ll certainly need to ensure that you have the right cover.
Although you can get individual policies for your vehicles, it’s often a better idea to insure them together as a fleet, particularly if you have a large number of them.
Below is a guide to fleet insurance, including the types of cover you can get and how to save money when taking out cover.
Types of cover
- Third party – Third party insurance will provide enough protection to make your vehicles road legal. It is the cheapest type of cover you can get since it will not provide any cover for your vehicles that one of your drivers is responsible for.
- Comprehensive – A comprehensive policy will provide cover for your vehicles for collisions where one of your drivers is to blame.
- Goods in transit – Goods in transit insurance is a good idea if your vehicles are used for transporting goods. It will protect the contents of your vehicles for theft and damage; or spoiling in the case of transporting refrigerated goods.
- Liability cover – Liability claims are something you must be prepared for when you have a fleet. In addition to getting cover for payouts, you can also get protection that covers legal expenses.
- Breakdown assistance – If one of your drivers were to break down then you want to know that they’d be back on the road as quickly as possible. You can get breakdown cover included in your policy with most providers.
Ways to save money on fleet insurance
- Pay upfront – One very reliable you can save money on fleet insurance is by paying for the policy annually rather than monthly. The majority of insurance providers will offer you a good discount when you do.
- Hire good drivers – Another way to save money on fleet insurance is by hiring good drivers with a clean record. This is always something that insurance providers will take into account.
- Get a lot of quotes – A very obvious way to save money on fleet insurance is by getting as many quotes as you can.
Fleet insurance is a very popular way for businesses and individuals to insure multiple vehicles under one policy. The advantage of getting fleet insurance over insuring vehicles individually is that it often saves you a substantial amount of money. Not only that but it makes it much easier to keep track of your vehicles. This is especially important for businesses that own a large amount of vehicles. Many families also take advantage of fleet insurance and the benefits it provides. Below are some of the main types of cover you can get with a fleet policy
One of the most common types of business that uses fleet insurance is a taxi firm. Most taxi firms will have a number of different vehicles, all of which have to be insured before they can be used. When members of the public are being transported then it’s a legal requirement to have public liability insurance. Most taxi firms will ensure that the policy they have includes both breakdown cover and vehicle replacement. This makes sense as if a taxi breaks down with a member of public on board it’s essential that they have an alternate means of transport.
A lot of larger families also opt to get their cars insured under a fleet policy. The standard number of cars needed to be considered a fleet is at least three. Insuring all the family’s cars under one policy can be of great benefit to everyone. Many younger drivers, under the age of 25 find it very difficult to get affordable insurance so getting a fleet policy with the rest of the family is often the only way it’s affordable. You have the usual options of getting fully comprehensive, third party or third party fire and theft. The higher the level of cover the more the policy will cost
There are a few ways that you can save money on fleet insurance but the most reliable way is to shop around. There are a couple of ways you can go about getting quotes for fleet insurance. You can contact the insurance providers directly by phone and obtain quotes that way. Alternatively you can obtain quotes from the insurance provider’s website. Each ways has its advantages and disadvantages.
The downside to contacting insurance providers by phone is that generally it takes longer to get the quote and depending upon who you speak to you may be pressured into taking out a policy even if you’re not sure about it. When you’re getting quotes online you don’t have any pressure and it’s generally much quicker to obtain the quotes too. There are many insurance comparison sites out there that will provide you with multiple quotes from different insurance providers if you fill out some basic information about yourself. Once such site like this is fleet-insurance.net